Narcoleptic Knights

Saturday, July 25, 2009

Sluggish, but Sane

I chose not to push myself at all today. While I desperately want to be more productive, I knew after yesterday that I would be a fool to drive myself today. Thus, I got up slowly and thoroughly enjoyed the long "talk time" with my wife. It amazes me each week how wonderful it is just to spend time in honest conversation with her. I also know that those exchanges are a huge part of why my love for her deepens every day. After we finished, I attempted the crossword and finished the sudoku in the StarTribune. Then, I played some Animal Crossing, which is rapidly becoming my favorite mindless past time.

My wife asked me today how I can enjoy it because there is no "objective" to the game. But, I think that is what I like about it. Before my narcolepsy became intolerable, I enjoyed fishing. What was good about it for me is that I could sit and do nothing, but not get stressed out. Ordinarily, lounging causes me immense amounts of stress because my brain wants me to do things. In fact, it uses quiet times to inundate me with a myriad of unfinished tasks, but fishing WAS something. I could be focused on the process of casting and retrieving, blocking out the normal litany from my mind. Animal Crossing definitely fills a similar role, partly because I spend a decent amount of my time in the game fishing. I will need to be careful of my time with this one, but it is a good way for me to use my downtime in a restful way.

I did manage to help clean our kitchen. I even put away a few of the piles from our dining room table. Hopefully, I will have a bit more energy tomorrow. The most important aspect of the day, though, is that I am at peace with what I did and what I left undone. Much of my stress earlier this week centered on what I have not finished yet for this coming school year. The reality is that I still have time to get things done, and I am a part of an amazing team. We made significant strides on Thursday and Friday. I am willing to guess we will have even more success on this coming Thursday. I need to remember that I have already been more efficient this summer than I have been at any point in my teaching career. I still want to do more, and I will. But, I deserve congratulations for the work I have done thus far. Plus, it will do me no good to make myself sick well before the school year begins. Summer has to be about me regaining energy so I can be effective during the school year. I truly do not know what tomorrow will bring, but I will do my best to get one or two things done, and I will make sure that I continue to take the breaks that my body needs to rebuild my reserves.

No comments: