Narcoleptic Knights

Thursday, July 9, 2009

Fatiguing Fight

The thought hit me today that I expend tremendous energy battling my narcolepsy each day. Motivating myself to get up, pushing myself to exercise, forcing myself to bear down on a specific task, and stretching myself to be attentive to others (particularly my wife and daughter) are all doubly draining elements of my day. I truly want to do all of those things, but they not only take energy by their very nature, but also a second (actually initial) level of energy must also be exerted simply to overcome my inertia. Truth be total, my body and brain often seem to think that they would be most happy if I never left my bed.

Such a development would invariably be a disaster. I know my anxiety and depression well enough to know that even a couple of days of "nothing" would send me over the edge. My gray matter is constantly processing, thus with no outside stimuli, it would start to create its own. Having had a few other times in my life when my mind turned inward for "entertainment," I would like to avoid that FOREVER. Apparently, that big bundle of nerve cells in my cranium does fully get that it needs the rest of the body to keep functioning, since it has pushed the rest of me dangerously close to wanting to do something drastic. Fortunately, I am far more able to intervene when I can feel the irrationality starting.

None of that changes the situation, though, that narcolepsy not only makes my sleepy, but also it exhausts me because I have to push through it to "get going." I am sure it is the reason that I am an extrovert. I almost always dread starting - my day, my next project, a book, a conversation - anything. But, once I am engaged, I tend to gain energy for the interactions, even when it is something inanimate like a book. That is good because I think I would pass out if I did not draw energy from those activities. Of course, the catch for me is that when the stimulus is gone, my energy drops to much lower levels. My awareness to this reality has been heighten this week because I have been on the go a lot. I have had meetings and conversations for much of the past three days. When those have finished, though, I am always in a location that requires me to drive home (or to my next meeting). Certainly, I have felt tired other times when I have driven, but the fatigue this week has felt much more severe. It does not help that the burgeoning traffic in Saint Paul and numerous construction projects have made this the worst summer for traffic that I have ever seen.

I am not worried that I will fall asleep behind the wheel, but I am struck that each of my interactions have taken so much out of me. That happens at other times too, but I notice it less because I usually am not doing something as demanding as the driving that has followed each meeting or conversation this week. I definitely see it as another item about my narcolepsy that I need to tuck into my every growing file. I am also thrilled that this is my reaction rather than mentally beating myself up over something that is completely out of my control. Narcolepsy is something that I cannot "beat," but I also know that this is not about winning. It is about living and appreciating what I do have - every second of it.

3 comments:

Jesse said...

I love this post! I don't think a lot of people realize the double-hit that narcoleptics are under when it comes to dealing with energy. Not only do they have less energy to start with each day, due to the nature of narcolepsy, but they then have to expend more energy than a non-narcoleptic would just to accomplish the same task. I think your post does an excellent job of explaining that concept using real-life experiences.

Main Man said...

Thanks for the praise. I feel like the insight hit me like a lightning bolt yesterday. I am glad it made sense to you too.

narcolepticized said...

Michael,your blogs are awesome to read! Thank you also for the kind words, my friend. Michael