Narcoleptic Knights

Friday, July 3, 2009

Delightful Date

Occasionally, my wife and I find time to go on a date. Sadly, such an event is frighteningly rare. We did manage to go on a date today, though. It was wonderful! My only frustration is that going out to lunch and seeing a movie wiped me out. Hopefully, we can still have some snuggling and romance tonight. Nonetheless, the chance to let everything else go and to get away with each other was glorious.

Our daughter headed off to a friend's lake cabin today. Thus, we have the house to ourselves. I made the date suggestion last night when we knew that we would be childless for most of today. My wife jumped at the idea immediately. We even handled the dining choice well. Initially, I tried to wrack my brain for some place fun to eat near the theater, but narcolepsy does quite a number on memory and decision-making. As a result, we decided to drive toward the theater and then explore for a place to eat. The town preceding the movie theater is North Saint Paul. We eventually discovered downtown in North Saint Paul. That alone might have been worth the trip. Even though the city is technically an "inner ring suburb," the place felt like the main drag of any out state town in Minnesota. It was wonderful!

We decided to eat at Cindy Jean's. There were a few other choices, but the Legion Hall looked iffy and the bars were not the scene we wanted today. Cindy Jean's was a riot. It has three tables and funky decor. There is a huge flat screen TV and a Wii. In fact, Cindy Jean's apparently hosts regular Wii tournaments. The sandwiches were fantastic, and we thoroughly enjoyed the fun meal that we had there. We did feel bad for the other couple eating there. They had no cash, and Cindy Jean's does not take plastic. Thus, the poor guy went looking for a cash machine. It sounded like he had to pay a bank to cash his check. And, he was gone for 20 minutes.

We then headed for the theater. We saw Sam Mendes' new film Away We Go. It stars Maya Rudolph and John Krasinski, and it is fantastic. My wife had seen some reviews that had raved about the film. It is beautifully shot, and the main characters definitely reminded us of each other. Krasinski and Rudolph work well together, and their characters make an odd, but well-matched couple (which is part of the reason we both identified with them - my wife is definitely the yin to my yang). As much as I enjoyed the film, I think the best part might have been reflecting on the film with my wife as we drove home. Nothing is more thrilling to me than getting a chance to be with my amazing wife.

Perhaps what made this day most special is that Monday (June 29) was our 18th anniversary. We did not have time to celebrate in any meaningful way. We definitely acknowledged the event, but having this sweet and simple date today was a perfect celebration for us (and of us). I adore my wife. She is the rock of our family. She is also the most wonderful, intelligent, gorgeous, exciting, sexy, sweet, gentle, driven, and gifted woman that I have ever met. I am blessed to be her husband. I know that I would not be handling my narcolepsy nearly as well without her constant love and support. Thankfully, our relationship goes stronger and deeper with each passing moment and every passing day.

No comments: