Narcoleptic Knights

Thursday, July 16, 2009

Fighting Frustration

I have not slept well (or much) the last two nights. While that is NOT a good thing, my mood today is surprisingly upbeat. I know a piece of that is that I had a good meeting with my psychiatrist today. He is quite down-to-earth, but has also challenged me in the past to be kinder to myself. I think he easily saw today that I am definitely making progress in that regard. I also know that in that same vein, I am accepting that I have been up far too late the last two nights. Thus, the things that I accomplish today will be "gravy." I have to take that approach. I needed to stay up two nights ago to get some things done for MOONS-MN. Last night, the priority was getting the kitchen clean. That I did get those things done is a huge step for me. Hopefully, I will begin to keep such efforts within the frame work of "normal" hours for me, but it is also good that I am making strides in such areas.

Far too often, I get completely lost in "unstructured time." I definitely function best when my schedule forces me to be certain places at specific times. The rub, of course, is that having a ful agenda each day drains me far more than a day of relaxing. A huge piece of the equation is the fact that my brain rarely "shuts down." Summers are usually the worst because it can be weeks of "free time," during which my brain tries to run in hundreds of directions. Unable to accomplish a fractional percentage of my mind's inexhaustible list, I would then wallow entire days away. Although my aspirations remain far to large, I am getting better and better at releasing myself from that cycle. I work to accept my limits, while challenging myself to get one or two small things done. Slowly, I am adapting. Hopefully, it will continue, and I will stay balanced and healthy. I still remember the lessons of last summer. Every time I pushed too hard, my body quit as I ran a fever. I would like to avoid being completely laid out.

No comments: