Narcoleptic Knights

Saturday, July 11, 2009

Relaxed Reminiscing

I had an excellent day today. I wish I could say that I got done numerous tasks, or that I felt wide awake for the first time in years, but my definition of "excellent" is far more mundane these days. I did make progress on a few of the things weighing me down before my Friday ended, but that kept me up until nearly midnight. While that might have made for a rotten Saturday, the opposite happened.

I slept late (for me) and got up at 7:30 am. My wife and I had our weekly "talk time." It is always wonderful, but today was even better because we simply let ourselves enjoy the time together. We both got a chance to share some recent insights and passions. It was sweet, quiet, and fun, even watching the health care PR insider who was on Bill Moyers' Journal last night. After the time with her, I had a fun and exciting meeting with some folks from Narcolepsy Network. These folks are fantastic because they make the forums (and website) happen. Although I get support in many places, the people who I work with to moderate the Narcolepsy Network forums are some of the best people that I know - and they all have narcolepsy too. It is astounding to see the incredible work that they do. In fact, the new look of the forums (literally updated within the last two weeks) has brought in a decent number of new folks. Certainly, the Narcolepsy Network is far more than the forums (particularly if you become a member), but having a diverse way to connect to other PWNs is massively important. Our online meeting took two hours because we have such a good time interacting - even in a "chat."

The best part of my day was yet to come, though. My wife and I headed out to get our daughter. She was at an overnight birthday party on a lake. They even slept out in tents. Even the car ride was a hoot. My wife and I travel extremely well with each other. Once we added our daughter to the mix we headed from a spot north of the Twin Cities metro area to a suburb southwest of it. While that might seem awful, the traffic was relatively light - a huge plus. We were on our way to see some of my high school friends, particularly a friend who has been living in Great Britian for the past 12+ years.

The party was at his dad's house. The home and neighborhood are gorgeous, and the numerous children loved the pool in the backyard and the large game room in the finished basement. While ages ranged from 5 to 12, there were enough boys and girls at each range that everyone felt connected. The kids managed to keep themselves entertained, allowing the adults to interact as well. Even though it has been 23 years since we graduated from high school, these three friends of mine remain dear to me (and to my wife). While I do not see any of them as frequently as I would like, we always manage to pick up where we left off. It is also fun to reflect on the past and to learn about new adventures and activities.

Enhancing the entire afternoon, the weather was literally perfect. I often joke that many Minnesotans live in this state because we get three or four perfect days every summer. The sun shine was glorious, and a light breeze made the temperature, which hovered right at 80 degrees Fahrenheit, exquisite. Plus, we had fantastic food! My friend's dad made pulled pork for us, and my wife had homemade bruschetta and an amazing black raspberry cobbler. Both were a huge hit. Perhaps the best thing, though, was the chance to be present on this incredible day with a multitude of people who are good and decent. I simply sat around and chatted with a group of people who mean the world to me. The whole day reminded me that I am truly blessed. Narcolepsy drives me crazy, but it can't take a day like this from me. It thrilled me that I was not fretting about my "undone" tasks. Rather, I placed myself firmly in each and every moment of the day.

1 comment:

Wolfie said...

Yay for a really good day! I really admire the great attitude that you have about what's important in your life. Thanks for sharing your awesome day, and also for reading and commenting on my blog. It is very much appreciated. ^^