Narcoleptic Knights

Thursday, July 2, 2009

Blog Bonanza

My excitement went through the roof today. I learned of yet another blogger with narcolepsy. Narcogirl write Confessions of a Narcoleptic. Similar to the other blogs that have come on my radar lately, she approaches her blogging in the fashion that I do. She is using the blog as a place to record her thoughts and her experiences with narcolepsy. When I first started writing mine, I was so disheartened that I only found a few other people writing about their narcolepsy. I certainly love the forums I have found on Facebook and at the Narcolepsy Network site, but I adore the chance to read the more personal reflections that tend to populate narcolepsy blog posts.

I now have fourteen other blogs listed in my "Other Narcolepsy Blogs" blog roll. Not all of them are updated frequently (in fact some have not had a post in a year or two), but it is cool that the list is growing rather than shrinking. The fact that I have added six blogs within the last three weeks is even more incredible. And, a few of those new blogs do post at least once or twice a month. Narcogirl has started off at an impressive pace. As one who has gone through feast and famine in my own writing (one month with 19 posts, another with 3), I think it is great that anyone with narcolepsy takes a few moments here and there to post at all.

I truly see these others bloggers as gifts. The chance to write about my own experiences is phenomenally rewarding in and of itself, but few things benefit me more than the chance to learn another PWNs story. While no PWN has the same story or symptoms or medications, we can all relate to the insane experiences that others have with this crazy disease. Thus, finding other blogs help me to remember that I am not insane. I also love that other PWNs are willing to discuss their condition in a public setting. I hate the idea that I need to hide my condition. I certainly do not "like" my narcolepsy, but it impacts who I am. I don't want people to feel sorry for me, but I also do not want to deny that I am sleepy most of the time. It IS part of me.

I defintely hope that my list of other narcolepsy blogs continues to grow. I also hope that as more PWNs lift their voices and share their stories that we will all benefit from the expanding awareness that more blogs will bring. Please consider reading some of the blogs listed in my narcolepsy blog roll. It will be worth your time.

1 comment:

Margeret said...

I completely agree that hearing about other people's experiences is extremely helpful. It makes me feel like I am not struggling alone. I wanted to share a great website, http://onlineceucredit.com/edu/social-work-ceus-sd , that has a lot of great information about coping with narcolepsy. Keep up the great blogging!