Narcoleptic Knights

Sunday, July 19, 2009

Slow Sunday

Everyone got up late in our house today. As always, I was the first one up - Xyrem in a midnight and 3 AM means I am awake at 8-8:30 am. Today was no different. Of course, the physical exertion of cleaning up last night and the emotional strain of watching my daughter left me completely washed out. My wife finally arose around 10:45, and we got my daughter up at 11:15. I have no doubt that the stress of the play drained both of them. While my daughter loved the entire experience, she expended ridiculous amounts of energy, especially in the last seven days. As Alice, she was literally on the stage every moment of the play, and she gave to the audience for the full 95-100 minutes both nights. For my poor wife, the drain can primarily from insane nervous energy. I have seen my wife stressed about her own presentations, but that is nothing compared to her fretting over our daughter's performance. Since our daughter has definitely been bitten by the performance bug, I am hoping that my wife's anxiety will start to settle down.

Once we got up, we did nothing. I don't think any of us had much motivation today. We did decide to check out Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince. We loved the film, but even that trip to the film depleted the minimal energy that any of us had. I got home and felt like collapsing. Thankfully, my wife was able to let go of her own concerns about getting work done. I definitely would have found it more difficult to shut down tonight had my wife tried to push herself to do more work, partly because she has done a bulk of the work that was required from parents for the play. I sincerely hope that I can get back into a better groove in this coming week. I certainly have done a decent job, but I want to find a healthier balance in my work efforts and my exercising.

Although today was incredibly low key, it is wonderful to realize that we were able to have a day like this as a family. Far too often, we have isolated on days like this one. Or, one or two of us will be frenetic, while someone else shuts down. Rather than begrudging each other, we celebrated our fatigue together. As the PWN in the family, I truly appreciate that. As I have said many times, my wife and my daughter are the two people who I still worry about disappointing. Thus, days like today can be dangerous for me. Instead, today was heavenly.

1 comment:

Wolfie said...

It's really cool that your daughter had such a great experience with the play, even though it was exhausting. Yay!

I saw Harry Potter today too. Awesome movie- but also kind of tiring. I hope you sleep well and feel better this week. But it's great that you had such an enjoyable weekend. :)