Narcoleptic Knights

Friday, July 17, 2009

Paying Penance

In the cosmic ebb and flow of my life, I knew a day like today was coming soon. Last night, for the third night in a row, I did not make it to my bed until "today" (meaning post-midnight). While it is summer, and I do not have looming deadlines, I can ill afford to get wildly off my regular schedule. The transition back would take me one to two weeks at least. That said, I am then faced with getting up after only one dose of Xyrem. That prospect is also rotten because I eventually get overly run down and cranky. I finally decided last night that I would actually do my second dose of Xyrem at 4 AM and would then be way off my regular routine.

Instead, I slept through the alarm until 5:15 AM. Since today is the opening show in my daughter's play, I figured I'd better not risk sleeping the entire morning away. Thus, I rose at 5:30 AM after only the one dose of Xyrem. Needless to say, I feel terrible today. My body is furious that I have not gotten nearly enough sleep of late. I also am feeling bizarre pains in the strangest of places because I have done little exercising this past week. I am so "off" that I actually had a sleep attack mid-morning while trying to do some work. I know it is bad when my sleep attacks are strong than 30 mg of amphetamine less than 2 hours after I have taken it.

Fortunately, the day has been extremely low key at our home. I had hoped to run some errands, but I realized mid-morning that it would be unwise for me to try. Instead, I simply plodded my way through some work for school. It was nothing more than data entry, but it will help us throughout the year. One of my greatest lessons from my narcolepsy is to accept the situation at hand and then to allow myself to adjust to it. Even a year ago, my day going sour would have derailed me completely. That would be bad on any day, but if I had lost my cool today, it would have been grossly unfair to my daughter (and my wife).

Underlying the normal zaniness of our home, a subtle (yet overt) pressure has been building all week. Tonight at 7 PM CDT, my daughter will perform with other children from her school - Wonderland! The Musical Misadventures of a Girl Named Alice. Given my daughter's personality, the tension would have been mounting even if her role was nothing more than a chorus member, but she is actually Alice in the show. She definitely has worked hard and is super excited, but her butterflies are likely the size of Mothra right now. AND, her mother (my wife) might be even more nervous. I have no doubt that she will be fantastic, but I also know that my daughter is like me, so she will dwell on every missed line and bad note. Our daugher will be on the stage for the entire performance, has approximately 300 lines, and sing the majority of two of the songs as solos. In other words, she is working her tail off the entire time. Having run lines with her, I know she will be spectacular and the show will be a hit.

But, even "knowing" that, it would have been unwise for me to risk coming unglued today. Beyond working on my few minor items, I tried to help my wife and to support my daughter. I also worked to keep the mood light. I suggested that we watch Shakespeare in Love. Not only is an "actor's movie" with all of the behind the scenes silliness, but also it is a great reminder that "it all works out in the end." As Henslowe says, we don't know why or how - it's a mystery. I think it is important for my daugher to have that in mind for tonight. The cast has first graders through graduated eighth graders in it. They also have NEVER had an uninterrupted run through of the play - the music director is a tad flaky. When the first "complete" run is on opening night, it can be unnerving. But I am hoping that my daughter can remember that as long as they smile, laugh, sing, and do most of their lines in order, everyone will adore the show.

My final regret in all of this, though, is that part of me wishes that I did not have to go tonight. Truth be told, I am too tired to appreciate it. Nevertheless, I would not miss this for the world. My daughter is far too important to me to let my narcolepsy get in the way. At the same time, I dearly hope that I will be able to forgive myself if I fall asleep at her show. I don't think that will happen, but anything is possible, especially the way I am feeling today. And, even as I write that I realize that I have yet to take my second dose of amphetamine for today - oops! I LOVE this crazy condition. I need to get those meds right now, but my error may just be the thing that keeps me awake through the entire show.

No comments: