Narcoleptic Knights

Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Helping Hands

Today, July 1, felt like my first day of summer. Not only was the mercury climbing into that uncomfortable range of high 80s (I may be Minnesotan, but uncomfortable heat can't be anything less than 88 degree - unlike many Minnesotans who balk at 80), but also I actually had a fairly relaxed day. Granted, I still had WAY too much on my internal check list (of which only a couple of items got ticked), but I did things for me today. I did that and still spent time with my daughter, provided support for my wife and even had lunch with a dear friend. Days like this make me remember that the concept of "balance" is not just a concept. It actually happens some days - I can NEVER count on it taking place, but everybody has good luck some time.

The aspect of today that grounded it so well was more time at Langford Chiropractic. I know that I rave about them often, but the entire staff is a huge piece of my coping. I continue to utilize the tremendous skills of my acupuncturist. In fact I saw her on Monday - that would be the 15 minute late appointment. She not only managed to get me in, but she also got me out on time. I'm late, but still got the full treatment and left with my day back on track. The best thing is that my acupuncturist managed to hit perfect spots for my high stress and low energy.

Today, I received equally impressive treatment from my massage therapist and my chiropractor. As I have written before, my muscles live in a constant state of tension. They have always been this way, but I know that my stimulants have made them much worse. Because of that I have an ocean of sympathy for my massage therapist. Incredibly, she is usually able to get most of my muscles to release. More impressively, she does that without "hurting" me. Do I experience pain? Of course, but even when she is working on the worst muscles, I know that the pressure she applies will allow the muscle to heal. Her strength is phenomenal. I was particularly worried today, though, because I wondered if we would ever move past my face. The two weeks of MITY took such a toll on me that even my jaw muscles were still clenched. Eventually, the massage progressed to my shoulders. Again, I wondered if my neck and shoulders would consume the rest of my hour. Fortunately, she did what she could (and it was fantastic improvement) and then worked on my back. She had actually joked that she would spend time "chiseling at it." Sadly, that is usually the case. I am blessed that she can do so much to remove tons of toxins from my muscles. I certainly left the room in a vastly improved state.

My chiropractor also managed to make exponential improves in my physical state. She is one of the clinic's owners and has amazing insights into how to improve someone's health. We often joke about the state of my back, especially because she knows that my massage therapist is unbelievable strong. Even my chiropractor was stunned today by how tight everything remained. Still, she worked out quite a few subluxations, even one in my neck that I didn't think she would get. Perhaps the best thing, though, is that I know she cares about my health, particularly in ways that only a handful of physicians have shown me. I realize that managed care limits what MDs can do, but I usually spend less time with my chiropractor than I do with them. Again, I often leave Langford Chiropractic grateful to have such excellent care providers.

Even the office staff brightens my day on a consistent basis. Since I am there every other week, most of the desk and financial staff know me. I am always greeted with a smile and am often asked about my daughter and my day. The entire clinic honestly feels like home. I know all of that is important to me because it is hard for me to ask for help. Without that comfort, I might not be getting acupuncture every other week and using massage and chiropractic work done every three to four weeks. Those three things likely do more for my "balance" than anything else in my life. They are the primary way that I am good to me.

Taking care of myself needs to remain a top priority. I wrote yesterday of prioritizing my life. My psyche is not good at acknowledging this, but I need to be my top priority. I am not good to even my wife and daughter if I am not emotionally and psychologically healthy. Certainly, I will continue to be as physically healthy as I can be too, but that situation is stacked against me. These non-Western approaches are fantastic tools in my maintenance of me. I must begin to reconnect with yoga (and exercise) because it bookends the acupuncture beautifully. When I was doing yoga and acupuncture together, my energy and spirit both reached wonderful heights. Until then, I will continue my trek to the Highland Park neighbor in Saint Paul to visit my favorite medical clinic!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Mmm, just reading that makes me jealous. However, I know it's all vital to keeping you as healthy as possible and as relaxed as possible. Way to go on finding the right place that makes it happen.