Narcoleptic Knights

Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Emphatically Ender

I have no idea how many people have read Orson Scott Card's Ender's Game (or the numerous books that followed it in the world of the Enderverse), but I absolutely adore the entire series. I am also thrilled that Mr. Card is continuing the story with Ender in Exile that is due in bookstores on November 11, 2008. He even has a final Bean book in the works called Shadows in Flight. All of this is on my mind of late because I have been teaching my MITY course called The Enemy Gate is Down: The Stories of Ender, Bean & You. While I have been fortunate enough to teach some of my passions at MITY the last couple of years (J.R.R. Tolkien and King Arthur), I find the nature of Orson Scott Card's material to be compelling to me in a fascinating way.

Some of the draw for me is the philosophical and ethical concepts that Mr. Card instills within these works. He explores fascinating ideas in each book, pushing both his readers and his characters. Whether it is the ethics of self-preservation or the morality of loyalty over common sense, Card constantly challenges what each person believes. The other powerful element within this construct is that rarely does Card deliver a character or issue that is clearly good or evil. He forces the reader to examine cultural conflict, species conflict, ideas like murder and self-defense, vengeance, relativism, fundamentalism, traditional values, contemporary attitudes, peaceful resistance, and military aggression. I honestly believe that I could weigh the issues in any one of Card's novels for months and still not reach a definitive conclusion. As a result, it forces me (and I would guess others) to rely on my own insights and beliefs to place the events of the book within a framework. Thus, I grow in my own faith, just as the characters do.

Perhaps it is that growth that attracts me the most. Ender (Andrew Wiggin) in particular fascinates me. He embodies much of what I hope to be. Ender gives unconditionally, speaks directly and lives his life with honesty and purpose. Often, by simply telling the truth, he forces situations to become both volatile and healthy. Too often in Western culture do we allow ourselves to skirt the actual problems in our relationships. Andrew, though, refuses to do that. The outcome is often painful at first, but allows people to become whole again in the end. I work to achieve those same skills. The other element that stuns me is Andrew's ability to hold firm to his own ideals while still respecting those of everyone he encounters. In many ways, Ender is an ethnorelativist. Instead of judging everyone and everything through his own lens, Andrew forces himself to look at the intents of the other, as well as this person's beliefs and ideals. While such behavior can be uncomfortable, it is a tremendous way to connect with others and to show them that you honor who they are. It doesn't mean that you approve or even agree with their actions, but it opens the possibilities of communication. By meeting the other as equal, Ender accomplishes amazing things.

I would love to possess that ability too. I hope that I am growing in that way. I don't see it as changing my beliefs to fit with everyone else. Rather, I see it as a way to connect across the numerous issues that often divide humans from one another. We are so quick to judge that which is different and does not fit our own world view. Ender's attitude of mutual respect frees us, by letting us still hold our own views while also accepting those of another. We aren't saying that person's creed is better than our own, but we are also not placing ours above hers or his. What a better place our world could be if we work toward genuine tolerance.

Even though Ender has such an enlightened mind, I am also drawn to him because Card lets us see that his fears and insecurities still remain. As a child Ender is trained to command an entire fleet of star ships. He does not know that he is eventually commanding a real fleet, but eventually wipes out an entire sentient species. Initially, he finds himself overwhelmed by the news, but he recovers and becomes the amazing man I describe above. He even spends much of his life trying to re-establish the creatures he destroyed. But, even with all of that, Ender still harbors his own self doubts. He never does completely forgive himself. I have no idea if others feel that too, but that aspect of Ender touches me to the core. Although I often know cognitively that I am forgiven for terrible things that I have done, I still hold on to many of the darkest aspects of the shame and regret that I feel. Certainly, I work hard to let that forgiveness penetrate to the depths of my soul, but I also know that it remains in hidden corners, waiting for the low and exhausted moments of my life so it can rear back and strike me down yet again. Andrew Wiggin is everything I would love to be, but even he remains fundamentally flawed. That is impressive and makes these books great.

More than anything, Orson Scott Card's Ender and Bean books give me hope. I find personal inspiration in them, but I also see great messages for our world. At the core of most of them Card features brilliant children and young adults. He sees a wisdom in them that is often lacking in adults. More accurately, Card recognizes that the honesty and idealism of youth often get lost in the practicality and safety of adulthood. It thrills me to no end that I get to spend my life working with brilliant young adults. Our world likely would be a much brighter place if we extended more trust to them and let them have genuine power. Orson Scott Card forces us to see the world in whole new ways. We could all use that push to break our own paradigms. I keep trying to re-orient my own life to see things around me through multiple sets of eyes. Like Ender and Bean, when I am in the "Battle Room" that is life, I try to remember that gravity can suddenly disappear so I can adjust my perspective to know, "the enemy's gate is down."

No comments: