Narcoleptic Knights

Friday, October 24, 2008

Still Spinning

While I do feel like I am on more of an even keel, my life continues to vex. I am exhausted constantly of late, but I am still managing to get through each day. Our house remains a disaster, but a huge piece of that is the ongoing renovations. The new windows and doors are in, but the new siding was just started today (Wednesday - even if the post says that I wrote it last Friday). Hopefully, things will be done soon. We will need to stain the insides of the windows and paint the doors. We will also need to fix the plaster that broke apart during the window installation. But, once that is done, it will be wonderful to get our house back in order - literally.

I am hoping I can accomplish the same thing at work. School has had its ups and downs, but I continue to love working with new team. Our students continue to do good work. I also am enjoying the energy of my two colleagues. The problem remains keeping up with the correcting, but I continue to remind myself that I am doing the best that I can. We have just started a novel this week, and I am thoroughly overjoyed to teach literature again. While teaching has many aspects that I adore, nothing gets me more excited than pulling apart a book. Thus far, the students seem to be deeply engaged by it. I just hope that continues.

I need to get to sleep, but I also know that as I work to get more structure in my life, I MUST do three things. One, I need to be more rigid about "bed time." I need to get to sleep at 10 PM every night. I have not been doing that, and I am getting close to the point that I will wind up paying for these late nights. Two, I need to begin exercising and doing yoga on a consistent basis. Those are vital to me truly becoming balanced in my life. Finally, I MUST plan time blocks each day. I need to limit my expectations, but I also need to define clearly the time chunks of each day. Without that I won't make small amounts of progress on the multiple responsibilities in my life. Time to rest needs to be a part of that, but setting the habit of doing small amounts of work daily will allow me to be more successful.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have to do similar things. The sleep is so important, my mood can be run by it. Hope you find some small ways to get to those goals. I've been doing alright making myself go to bed by midnight or 1, but it's easy to be strict with yourself when you're exhausted anyway.....

Glad school is good. It's good for me too. :)

narc_cat said...

It takes awhile to set a schedule for yourself. Also, don't be too hard on yourself when you get "off" a bit. I've been home since February and I certainly still have my late nights. 10 or 11pm at the latest is a great goal and it does make me sleep a little better and wake up more refreshed. I am so glad the Xyrem has been working for you there also! And after hearing the great news the other night on the tas talk! I am SO happy for you!!! Congrats, congrats! Talk about reorganizing your time!