Narcoleptic Knights

Friday, October 3, 2008

Better Before Beginning

I have arrived! The morning was insane because I didn't pack last night. I tested both my wife's and my daughter's patience. Somehow, I only forgot two things, and my wife was kind enough to go home for them before she drove into work. My in-service at work was good, but it wouldn't end! My wife called my cell twice before calling the school to have someone come get me. I had to walk past my boss as he was starting an announcement because I knew that I needed to get going. While my wife was more than a little irritated, I didn't completely goof up her day. My flight was fine and ridiculously fast. I am far more conscious of the "speed" of air travel after this flight. I have driven to Milwaukee many times. It is nearly impossible to get here in less than 6 hours without grossly violating the speed limit. We landed less than 45 minutes after we took off. That is wild!

I rode to the hotel on its shuttle. There were three airline employees in the van, two other people and me. I think the woman in the van is one of the people I have "talked" to a few times on the Narcolepsy Network forums. The man is one of our presenters. After checking in, I unpacked in my room then figured I would go hang out in the lobby to see if I would fine anyone I know. I checked in for the conference and sat down to check email and blog. Soon, people were arriving in droves. The energy and enthusiasm electrified the air with each passing moment. It is clear that attendees to this conference genuinely care for one another. I could feel my own excitement growing and I didn't know anyone.

Soon, I was approached by another attendee. He and I chatted for quite a while. This is his third conference. As a 63 year old PWN, he has lived much of his life with this disease, but for the last ten years he has given up Western medical treatments. He doesn't like pills. I think that is incredible. We discussed acupuncture, chiropractic and dietary issues. It was amazing. Truly, that one conversation would make this trip worthwhile, yet the conference hasn't even started yet! I knew this thing would be better than I imagined, but even knowing that I am still stunned.

I can't wait for my Minnesota friends to arrive, but I am also excited to meet some of the folks with whom I have interacted online. As the nice gentleman and I were talking, another PWN started giving him a hard time. Turns out this second PWN and I have traded messages in the Facebook group. He immediately mentioned another person from the Facebook group and said, "we were just talking about you." This is incredible. And, as I was typing this, the Minnesota car arrived! Hooray!

I know this weekend will blow my mind. It already is. This might be the first time I am honestly excited about having narcolepsy. Having it means I have a connection with these wonderfully cool people. MUCH more to follow.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

for the record mike, Laura (my fiance) lived in Milwaukee for four years. i could do the drive from Harding on the east side in 5hrs flat, or 4hrs 30min if I broke speeding regulations.

glad the conference started well!

~flynner