Narcoleptic Knights

Sunday, September 7, 2008

Depressing Dangers

I find it fascinating how a weekend can spin on a dime. Yesterday was fantastic, while today is not. My day has been alright. I actually held to some scheduled times that I set for myself (which is progress), but my mid-afternoon and evening fell apart. In some ways I got swept up in "drama," as my students would call it. Of course, the reality of the situations is far more than that. One of the ugliest aspects of narcolepsy is the depression that it can cause.

In recent days a friend (one of many I have met in online narcolepsy support groups) has written a few things that have me deeply concerned. She is definitely depressed. The disease alone can do that. Imagine the reality of it. Narcolepsy doesn't allow you to sleep well (often even if you are one a medication to help you sleep). As a result you spend your entire day exhaust (often even if you take some type of stimulant). Beyond feeling exhausted, you might have cataplexy and lose control of certain muscles at times (making you feel clumsy and awkward), but even if you don't have cataplexy, the fatigue drags at you. You can't do everything that think think you should. Others wonder why you aren't getting your work done. Many narcoleptics are called lazy by their colleagues and family. They are told to get more sleep or to drink some coffee. In many ways the disease is a nightmare. Narcoleptics look and (generally) act like able-bodied persons, but they actually have a debilitating disease. One that forces them to perform far below what they (and others) think should be the case. How could that cause depression?!?

My friend, though, has even more going on in her life. She recently moved in an attempt to get her life back on track. The move has left her in a new place with few friends. Worst of all, she is among the millions of U.S. citizens without health insurance. She is running out of narcolepsy meds and can't see a doctor. Needless to say, I am worried.

One of her posts, though, caused another narcoleptic a great deal of stress. This second woman saw my friend's post, and it cut this woman to the core. My friend's post in my eyes is a cry for help, but due to events and stress in this other narcoleptic's life, she saw it as counterproductive and giving up. Much angst ensued, including two other friends getting involved and responding with posts. In the end I wound up trading a number of messages directly to the narcoleptic woman who got so upset at my friend's message. It still bothers her, but I think she simply appreciated being able to tell someone her story.

In all of the consternation, I kept reminding myself how fragile all of this is. Narcolepsy truly is an insane condition. I take drugs to help me sleep at night and others to help me stay awake during the day. That is wrong! It is a complete paradox. Even more amazing is the fact that so many narcoleptics fight like mad to continue to function. A good friend offered the thought to me that we narcoleptics have to have this condition. If we didn't, we would wind up taking over the world. It sounds funny - until you meet other narcoleptics and realize how hard we all drive ourselves (and yet still feel inferior).

While all of this has been happening around my friend's post, I also had the chance to read up on the life of this amazing sixteen year old, narcoleptic girl in Singapore. This young woman realized that something was wrong with her health, disregarded every message that she got that it was in her head, researched like mad on the Internet, read about narcolepsy, dialogued with a number of us online, made her own appointments with a sleep doctor, and eventually got diagnosed. She also managed to do this within a month or so. Yet, in the face of this, her parents still think that she is lazy. She is in trouble at school because she is not performing well academically (they allow her no excuses), and she thinks she is letting people down. How sad is that? For any sixteen year old to be that resourceful is amazing, but add in the fact that she has narcolepsy, and she should be receiving medals not insults.

I wish there was some way to explain to people that narcolepsy is incredibly hard. Even as I learn to live with it, I daily fight my own messages that I "should" be doing more. The fact of the matter is that without medication my brain function would be comparable to a non-narcoletic who had not slept for 72 hours. With medication it is better than that, but I am still wiped out most of the time. AND, my narcolepsy is not nearly as severe as others. It saddens me so that many of the narcoleptics that I know face scorn from the people closest to them - parents, siblings, friends. How is that just? I hope that all of the people who are on my mind tonight - my depressed friend, the upset woman who is my new friend, the two others who engaged in the dialogue, the young woman in Singapore - are all able to find some peace and strength in their lives. I am blessed to have the family and friends that I do. I am also fortunate to have a local support group that is growing stronger. Plus, I get to go to a national convention for narcoleptics in less than a month, or at least I think I do. Amid the other stressors today, I learned that my account on the Narcoleptic Network Online Community is not working. When I couldn't log in, I tried to use the help functions, only to be told that "no member has that information." So, I either did something very wrong, or it is some computer glitch. I sent off a couple of requests for help, but have heard nothing yet. Invariably, I am already blaming myself, and a part of my brain is convinced that I have gotten myself thrown out of the group before I ever got to go to the convention. While the thinking is completely irrational, it starts to sound pretty accurate as the depression creeps in. Let's hope that I am totally wrong and am able to access my account again soon.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry, I've fallen behind and haven't read all the blogs. So this is me wishing you well on all fronts and hoping that I'll be able to keep up soon!

<3 Dana

Sleeper said...

I have had Narcalepsy for at least 15 years. I have known about it for 5. My first overwhelming problem was Depression. I am an evangelical christian. I prayed for over a decade and tried everything except drugs. I was getting desperate, about to get married and graduate from college. I prayed with a pastor for healing. 1 of a million similar prayers...I have never had depression again since!!!! Praise God. The triggers don't set me into depression anymore. I may feel sad when something bad happens but it is a normal sadness, not the overwhelming uncontrollable depression that I used to have. After that day I had so much energy!!! I felt like a 100 pound weight had been lifted from my shoulders. Then the symptoms of Narcalepsy became more acute. I had always thought them to be symptoms of depression, but they persisted. I attended a sleep clinic and saw a nuerologist. Sure enough, I could close my eyes and enter REM within 1.5 minutes.

I fancy myself a scholar without abilities. I went to college and slept through most classes. I am starting to lose concentration and forget things more. I always thought I got more sleep than anybody else, but I just discovered

Sleeper said...

that a narcoleptic's sleep does not consist of enough NREM or deep sleep.

I am very frustrated about all of it. I feel like I am living in a dream, never fully awake. Only momentarily feeling or thinking like a "normal" person. Generally nobody understands, and I don't tell a lot of people because I don't want to use it as an excuse. It seems like the effects of sleep deprevation are far reaching. I feel like I am only half a man sometimes. Like there is another part of me that should be awake, but it is asleep.

I have been considering alternative solutions, like acupuncture and chinese medicine. That's what led me to your site. Like yourself though, I am not a rich man and cannot afford to pay for acupuncture every week. I thank God at least I do not have Cataplexy.

The nuerologist said it should get better with age. Well, yesterday was scary because I fell asleep at a stop light and bumped into the car in front of me. I usually am sleepy firts and can pull over and take a nap. But yesterday it just happened. I don't know how to deal with that.