Narcoleptic Knights

Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Mindful Meditation

I still want yoga to become a habit, but I also know that I need other ways to relax myself. My psychiatrist showed me a fantastic breathing exercise that I can do in two to three minutes and certainly some of my yoga exercises can be done for a brief centering routine. Still, I know I need something more substantial. I also realized yesterday that I have it! The Benson-Henry Institute at Massachusetts General Hospital specializes in Mind Body Medicine. A few months ago, I bought 3 of their CDs. While I had listened to parts of them, I had not "used" them until yesterday. While waiting for my massage, I put on my iPod and enjoyed track one of Creating a New "Now" by Ann Webster. It is fantastic and helped me relax muscles that were in terrible knots (the massage ALSO helped).

Even more exciting, though, was that it finally dawned on me that my teaching schedule for this next year has two perfect windows built into it that will allow me to meditate with Dr. Webster's CD or the others. I can do it DAILY if I want. Best of all, my internal reaction to that insight was joy, rather the guilt I likely would have felt even a year ago. My contract requires me to have a prep and four class periods. These windows are not a part of that. I will certainly choose to use them at times to do work for my school, but the key word there is "choose." That time is mine, and using it in whatever way is best for me - mentally, physically, emotionally - will be glorious. In the past, I know I would have forbidden myself from even considering using a time period like that for meditation. Now, I am looking forward to doing that. It is in moments like these that I think, "maybe I can overcome my hang ups." Of course, I know that the journey to do that will only take my lifetime.

Being aware of what is going on within me and living in the present are my two biggest goals for this next school year. By using these windows in my school day wisely (for correcting AND fulfillment), I will make it much more likely that my "schedule" blocks will work and be effective. All of this simply continues to build my enthusiasm for the coming school year. Hooray!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't you love it when stuff falls into place for you? ;)

Unknown said...

Hi,

You have an extremely great blog. Most of the people will not recognize what mind power can do to one's accomplishment Commence directing the amazing power of the mind and subconscious mind to develop the lifetime you choose with our Mind Power training method. Get the Free Mp3, E-Course and CD currently and start directing the power of your mind and subconscious mind to create the existence you would like - in 7-simple measures.