Narcoleptic Knights

Thursday, August 7, 2008

Feverish Frustration

I was supposed to go to the zoo today. I was supposed to enjoy the day with my wife, my daughter and my sister-in-law. Instead, I spent it on the couch, under a blanket, with my temperature slightly elevated. Even more annoying is that I am positive that today's health woe is directly connected to pushing too hard yesterday. I have been doing a good job of balancing things for the past week, but I went too far yesterday.

Since the weekend juggling a house guest, school prep, housework and mental health has been flowing well. We have had a great time going places with my wife's sister. I continue to grow in respect for my teaching team and in excitement for the coming school year. My yoga and exercise have not fit, but I have been breathing and have remained calm. I even have managed to get big and little projects done in the house. Best of all, though, I have done all of this while still taking care of my physical health.

Unfortunately, I started on another big project yesterday. We are hoping to have some major work done on our house and garage. As a result of that, we needed to remove a decent sized tree (10 years old or so) from behind our garage. I thought it would fairly simple, but I was definitely wrong. I took one look at the tree and realized that I needed to get onto the roof to remove branches. While I was up there, my saw died, but I got the branches off.

I was exhausted and wisely went inside to rest and to have lunch. I had already had a four hour meeting that morning, and we were hosting a family cook out that night. I sat for an hour. Then, I made a horrid mistake. I assumed that I could quickly finish the tree. Since I had a second battery pack and only the trunk to cut down, I figured the cutting would go quickly. Invariably, the trunk was thicker than I thought, the wood was young and hard to cut, and the battery died quickly. I also became fixated on finishing. I pushed through because I was worried (irrationally) that I would leave the job unfinished. Fearing that weeks from now my wife and I would be fighting about the tree truck, I got the hatchet from our garage. I also know that my "estimations" can often be WAY off. I truly believed that I could chop the remaining tree down fast.

The actual process tool much longer - on the order of a half hour. I flailed away at the trunk. The blisters that developed on my right hand still hurt today. In fact the one that popped while I worked made me nervous at first. I thought it might be infected, but I was wrong (thankfully). I did get the tree down, but my whole body was shaking. Somehow, I settled down and had a good evening. My wife did most of the work when our guests arrived, but I even did some cooking and cleaning.

What drives me insane, though, is that I didn't sleep well. Then, I woke this morning and knew that I was sick again. I felt lousy, just like I did last week after trying to play ultimate. I understand that I need to be careful with my exercise and exertion, but it drives me nuts that one bad decision can derail me for at least a day. I am worried that it might even be more than one day. It took me three to four days to "recover" from ultimate. I also know I felt WAY worse yesterday than I did last Wednesday. I will cope with whatever tomorrow brings, but my mood will be dismal if I feel this sick or worse. We are supposed to go see the Star Wars exhibit at the Science Museum of Minnesota. I want to do that with my family, AND I REALLY want to see the exhibit. I just can't understand how my body can be this frail. It's crazy, absolutely crazy.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You know EXACTLY as well as I do that progress involves going back and forth on the continuum. I'm impressed your week was so great, and I'm not surprised you got so dogged you couldn't let the tree alone. You're an intense, driven, persistent man. So you let it get "out of hand." You'll learn when to stop, or you'll get yourself sick sometimes. It's all part of the journey, right?