Narcoleptic Knights

Sunday, April 13, 2008

Ultimate

While narcolepsy does play a major role in my life, I refuse to let it take over. One of the ways I plan to "fight back" is by renewing my commitment to playing ultimate Frisbee. The club team on which I play (tba - that is truly our name) had our kick off meeting tonight. It was great to see everyone. My extensive weight loss, and ensuing knee problem, was a topic of discussion, but most of the evening was spent discussing our upcoming year.

I feel re-invigorated just by seeing these guys again. It amazes me that I can feel so strongly about a group. I would do anything for my teammates, mostly because they are such good people. Plus, they all play my favorite sport extremely well. The night was also good for me because I had to discuss the narcolepsy.

I struggle with explaining my condition in terms that give clarity without causing excessive concern. Narcolepsy is a complete pain, but it is manageable. I feel like I did a decent job tonight, both in the way I answered questions about my health, and in the positive attitude that I had. I tend to be an optimist, but goofy disease certainly tests that trait. On the whole, a great night. I am excited for my physical therapy to begin. By getting my knees stronger, I will be able to exercise more. That in turn will give me more endurance, not only for ultimate, but also for my daily life.

I will never be able to match the insane energy levels of my past, but I will be able to teach well (part-time) and be a great dad and husband. That will make every day brighter.

1 comment:

uncle tim said...

wouldn't be the same without, my friend. That's that. Take it for what it's worth. I'm so extremely glad you're still playing with us. Thanks for your great commitment to managing this narcolepsy stuff so that we still get the privilege of spending our weekends with you.