Narcoleptic Knights

Friday, December 26, 2008

Family Frenzy

My parents are here. Generally, that is a good thing, but this evening, my mother won't stop moving. It is great that someone is doing all of the cleaning, but I wish she could let herself relax. I must admit, however, that I am feeling minimal guilt about the situation. In the past, I think I might have tried to compete with her, but the reality is that I did WAY more than my share today. I had to do that and was proud to be able to help out, but making my kitchen spotless is simply not in the cards for me tonight. If my mom feels compelled to do it, more power to her. Actually, her actions confirm that I need to talk to her about her mental health, but that is a discussion for Duluth in a few days, or during a quiet walk next weekend.

Beyond my mother's manic antics, the day has been another eyeopener for me. I awoke this morning knowing that my wife might need me to do the shopping for our second Christmas. We had our own yesterday, opening our presents to each other and the ones from my wife's family. But, with my parents arriving last night, today was the celebration with them and my sister and her husband. Given that my wife had done virtually everything in the house during my medication holiday, I was more than willing to pick up some of the slack. Sadly, my wife needed way more from me than just some shopping. She has a stomach bug and spent the entire day in bed, other than a couple trips to vomit and a brief appearance during the gift exchange. My wife rarely gets sick like this, and part of the reason is that she abhors vomiting.

Thus, as I left on my shopping excursion, I knew I was likely doing the cooking today too. I chose again today to only take 10 mg this morning. I felt alert while driving and even decided to hit the 50% off sale at Target before getting the groceries. I got some great stuff there, then picked up some prescriptions, and finally hit the grocery store. All in all, my quick trip turned into a three hour adventure. I arrived home to a sicker wife and guests who might arrive at any moment. I got stuff put away and started cooking. My mom helped, and when my sister arrived, so did she. We eventually got everything prepared, and I took my second dose of 10 mg at 2 PM.

It blew my mind that I did all of that with only 10 mg of amphetamine. I know that I tend to respond well to "crisis" situations, but I am positive that seven days ago, 10 mg of amphetamine would have put me to sleep even if my house was on fire! This medication holiday thing borders on the miraculous. Granted, I was basically done for the day at 2 PM. Even with the second dose, I was exhausted. Still, I managed to be social and functional for the rest of the day. Since it is likely that I will be doing the driving tomorrow, I will need to consider 20 mg instead of 10 mg in the morning, but we are leaving at 1 PM, so maybe I will take 10 mg for the first dose and see how I feel. I know that my doses will need to go up when school starts again. I also know that I will definitely continue to take medication holidays. Now, if I can just find a way to stop having my mom do work!

No comments: