Narcoleptic Knights

Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Faithful Fatigue

When I got out of bed this morning (I hesitate to call the experience "waking up"), I was convinced that day four would be far worse than day three. The extreme effort of feeding three cats left me exhausted for the next hour. I eventually stumbled to the living room and promptly slept for the next hour and a half. Finally, I forced myself to shower around 10 AM. My wife and daughter had dental appointments at 11 AM. I didn't fall asleep in the lounge and did hang in through the other errands. Lunch was good too.

Then, at acupuncture, I was convinced I would fall asleep. I often hover in a near sleep state, but was positive that my body would simply give out today without the stimulants. Interestingly, I found my energy growing throughout the forty minutes that the needles were in me. Some of that might have been the electricity surging into the four needles in my lower legs, but that is not something new. I have been functional enough the rest of the day that I wonder if I have turned a corner on the withdrawal aspect. Certainly, tomorrow will be what it will be, but it is fascinating to ponder how all of this is impacting my body. I also must admit that part of me wishes I could stop the stimulants and just have an acupuncture treatment each morning. Of course that would be impossible, unless my amazing wife wants to spend two years learning how to be an acupuncturists on top of being the best medical writer and editor that I know (or that most, if not all, of the doctors who work with her know as well). The chiropractic appointment after the acupuncture also seemed to help.

That being said, it is incredible to realize how sleepy I truly am. Narcolepsy truly is a stunning condition. I know that my Xyrem doses knock me out at night. I get as good a sleep as I can most nights. That means that even with a chemically induced sleep, something is so out of whack that I remain exhausted for a majority of every day. It is humbling to be this dependent on drugs, but it is also good to understand what my body can and cannot do. As I continue to learn more about my condition, it will be fascinating to see where I will go and what life will bring me. Perhaps I will some day be one of those incredible PWNs who does not take stimulants, a person who is comfortable doing what his body allows rather than one who pushes himself to the extreme.

It will be cool to see what tomorrow brings. I need to go to the dentist at 10:30 AM. We also have a few more errands to run. Plus, we need to go to Mass at 4 PM. My daughter is singing in the pre-Mass caroling. I hope that I have a little more energy than I have had the past few days. At the same time, whatever I can muster will be just fine. I have no delusion that I will miraculously "recover." I also know that if I am even more wiped out, I will simply accept that. I have no ability to control the situation. It will also be good to recognize what five days without stimulants is like. That way, I will have more insight for the next medication holiday, which I hope will be similar in length. Who knows, I might even be able to do it during my spring break. I definitely am hoping that I can take a break for at least a week during the summer of 2009.

No comments: