Narcoleptic Knights

Friday, November 28, 2008

Health Habits

It is frighteningly obvious to me that I need to modify what I am doing in my life, particularly when it comes to eating and exercising. When my stimulants were stripping weight out of me, I began eating huge bowls of ice cream simply to prevent weight loss. Of course, when I started taking heart meds (because my stimulants sent my BP sky high), my metabolism also seemed to slow. I don't eat as much ice cream now, but I still eat some. I definitely need to stop doing that. My weight has steadily risen throughout the summer and fall. I can't afford to get any heavier.

I also need to get back into a much better groove when it comes to my diet. I am not eating a lot of gluten, but I have some at least three or four days a week. Beyond knowing that the gluten makes my digestion worse, I am also sure that it exacerbates my sinus issues. I need to buy healthier food and stop using junk food for comfort. I am hoping that by naming this, I will own my commitment to myself.

Beyond the food issues, I need to begin working out. While exercise will certainly help with my weight, even more importantly I will begin gain back some physcial strength. My knees have begun to hurt again. I am also sure that some of my fatigue is a result of my lack of any kind of endurance. My regiment will need to start slowly. I clearly do not want to overexert myself. I remember all too well how sick I got this summer when I pushed to hard. Still, by building muscular strength, I am certain I will gain mental and emotional fortitude. As always, my concern remains time. I hate that each day seems to only provide me limited windows of energy. Yet, that is the reality. Getting healthy is the best thing for me, thus is must become my highest priority. It does not mean that I won't do other things, but it does mean that I have to stop waiting for some free time. There is no free time! If I intend to get in shape, I must give up other things, or simply know that I will not put much energy into my other activities.

My goal is to work out three times between now and next Friday. I also will minimize sweets and go the entire week without eating gluten. I think the goals are realistic, but we will see what my reporting brings next Friday.

No comments: