Narcoleptic Knights

Saturday, June 21, 2008

Blessed Beyond Belief

While I remain aggravated about my own dearth of energy, I can't help but smile because I have the best job in the world. I was made to teach, particularly in high school, and get a huge rush from the daily opportunity to watch young minds at work. As wonderful as my regular teaching can be, though, nothing compares to the experience of working in Expand Your Mind at the Minnesota Institute for Talented Youth. Daily, I get the thrill of challenging the brilliant young adults. I am awestruck by their intellect, but even more impressed by their depth of character. My co-teacher and I have 27 amazing writers whose maturity and wisdom belie their teenage years.

My joy comes not just from witnessing their efforts to tremendous pieces, but more so from their passion for each other. Nothing gives me greater hope than spending two weeks each summer with such talented individuals. Their spirits radiate enthusiasm and kindness and mirth and earnestness and compassion and humor and love. Rarely does one find such a group in a life time, and I get to spend time with them every year. The faces change, grow older, move on, but the essence stays the same. Part of that is the atmosphere that my co-teacher and I create, but much more is the result of bringing phenomenal young women and men together. For so many of our students, MITY is the one place where they honestly feel "normal" (whatever that means). Instead of standing out as "the kid with the big brain," each student can shine for his or her talents. Plus, they finally have peers - ones that get their jokes and appreciate their insights.

More than anything, though, my MITY ones help me to become a better person and teacher. Every summer I learn more about myself than I feel that I ever give them in terms of knowledge. Their words - in poetry and prose - weave wondrous images. Their emotions are poured on to each page only to spring to life within the reader's mind. Better yet are the expressive interactions that fill the classroom from the first moment to the last. These incredible individuals bond as a family. They cheer for each other, edit for each other, celebrate for each other. No tangible rewards come as a result of this support; they simply want everyone to feel welcome.

My narcolepsy frustrates me to the core. It prevents me from engaging in EVERYTHING to the extent that I want (or at least that I think I want). But, it also forces me to slow down my world. As a result I can appreciate even more these amazing people in my life. On Thursday we went to the Minneapolis Institute of Art. The class was using the art to practice critical response. They also used the art for inspiration. I certainly enjoyed looking at images, but even better was watching my MITY minds probe great works as they sketched and wrote and pondered. It is beautiful to observe - essentially living art. If my narcolepsy didn't slow me down, I likely would miss seeing those moments. Later, I simply sat down to rest, and slowly I found many of the students gathering near me. They just wanted to be together, relishing the chance to share the quiet and their discoveries.

Narcolepsy is devastating for many of us. I am lucky that I do not experience cataplexy and that my meds keep me from falling asleep during the day. But, I am also lucky because this condition does force me to reduce my pace. I struggle to accept that fact, but it is true. More and more, I know what I need to do is accept my limits. Eventually, I will get there. Until then, I will likely rail against this condition in between moments of peace. I will also embrace my good fortune that has brought me to this glorious summer program.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Way to go. :)