Narcoleptic Knights

Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Wonders of Wii

I have loved video games my entire life. Growing up in the 70s and 80s, I experienced first hand the arrival of home video games. I also fall into the primary age group to have "lived" the hey-day of the video arcade. My summer before ninth grade, I spent hours nearly every day in the local arcade. While part of me regrets those lost hours, another still longs for the sheer joy of honing my skills at Galaga and Tempest.

Although I have own a couple of game systems as an adult (a Super Nintendo and a few "plug in" consoles that hold 5-20 games), my wife and I have purposely avoided purchasing any of the ever improving systems during the last 15 years. The primary reason truly is my inability to stay sane when I have a game system. Certainly, I chafe at the idea that I am incapable of remaining grounded when there is a game to "beat," but I also know that the decision has been a wise one.

Given my narcolepsy, I shudder to think the state I might be in today if we had purchased a Game Cube or an X-Box. Heck, I have even avoided computer-based games for the same reason. I have no doubt that Worlds of Warcraft would have stolen hours of sleep for weeks on end. In fact, I would be willing to bet that gaming easily might have masked the depth and extent of my excessive daytime sleepiness for at least four or five more years.

The irony is that I am writing this the day after I purchased a Wii system - with my wife's permission and approval. I might be a risk-taker at times, but I am not an idiot. While I do worry that we could eventually acquire a game or two that might tempt me into a few "all-nighters," I am more confident about my maturity and decision-making. The reality is that I know what happens when I push, and more often than not, I am unwilling to sacrifice the next two or three days simply to "enjoy" a little friviolity. Let's hope I am still saying that next month and next year.

We decided to get the Wii because I am struggling horribly to work exercise into my routine. I feel like I am finally beginning to learn how to balance home and work and me. That in itself is a massive accomplishment for me. But, I also know that I will be healthier, happier, and more complete if I can find even a modicum of fitness. Enter the Wii. My wife and I spent Saturday night with my sister and her husband. They have had a Wii for awhile, but this was our first couples "Wii night." Everyone had a blast playing a wide variety of games, but at the end of the evening I got a chance to try Wii Fit and the Balance Board. Not only did I find it fun, but I also realized that it could easily be a missing step in getting back into some type of exercise groove.

The beauty of Wii Fit is that I don't have to GO anywhere. My narcolepsy makes me so wiped out at times that the idea of driving to a gym, or even running to the lake a mile from our house, is simply not an option. I worry that I will exhaust myself. If I do that and then need to drive home, I risk my safety and that of others. If I do it and am now a mile from my house, I am foolish enough (and male enough) that I will still try to run home. Then, I will get sick. It happened repeatedly last summer with ultimate and with yardwork.

Instead of risking those things, I can now plug in my Wii and do some yoga and light conditioning work in front of my TV. It also "feels" like a game with vocal support from the etrainer. The Wii can't be my only exercise, but it is a perfect place to start. I would love to pretend that I am capable of pushing myself to establish a workout routine on my own, but I am not. I have nearly forty-one years of failure as evidence. I do best, in terms of fitness, when I am part of something. The Wii tracks my progress for me. And, the fat little Mii, that is ME, provides its own motivation. I know this is going to help me.

I feel blessed to have a wife who supports me so much that she is willing to change her mind about getting a Wii. I also am proud that I bought the Wii last night and have already used it twice to "workout." That is two more workouts than I have done in months. Pretty good for less than 24 hours. Still, it is not lost on me that while I am starting strong, I have done that before to taper to nothing within days. I believe this will be different, though. I need this and the exercise will take the place of some of my other recreation. Building up my strength slowly will also prevent my system from crashing. That is also a good thing (and a chance from the past).

No comments: