Narcoleptic Knights

Sunday, June 28, 2009

Wiped & washed out

I survived. In fact, I thrilled to a large extent. MITY wrapped up wonderfully. In many ways, my co-teacher and I were more on top of things this year than we have ever been. I truly believe that our class gave a tremendous reading. Each student delivered her or his best reading at the actual event. Plus, the book this year, while slightly smaller, seems to have better quality than ever before. I know that a piece of that is that I did more and better editing this year. Now, my brain constantly reminds me about the multitude of pieces that I did not provide feedback, but I definitely feel like I did the best that I could.

Perhaps the highlight of the session, though, came on our final day. I chose (and that is the truth) to stay awake as long as I could to get as much work as I could done. I eventually had to get into bed, and I did sleep for two hours. I knew that I was making a choice and that I would likely lose the weekend as a result of that choice, but I felt that it was worth it. As a result, we not only had the supplement (we make a book of the students work, abd then create a final "supplement" that has fun memories and a few more pieces by them held together with only a staple) ready, but we also had the 3 CD-ROMs (photos that I took, the book and supplement files, etc) burned, and I love the poem that I wrote for the class (that is not always the case). I also managed to be present for our students and truly enjoyed the final day of MITY this year.

Typically, I am a wreck for the final two to three days. I worry that we won't get the book together, then I worry about the reading, and then I obsess about what I have done and what I have not done for the last day. This year, we were ahead of the curve each step of the way. We dropped the book off earlier than we ever have, although I am still waiting to get it turned in on a Wednesday rather than a Thursday. The reading came together beautifully, and I know our final day was as good as it can get - the day will always be bittersweet because we all have to say good-bye. Perhaps, the final element that made this "closure" so complete for me is that my co-teacher and I had the room cleaned, the computers returned, and our keys turned in before 4:30 PM. Much of that had to do with the assistance that we recieved from our students, but it was breath-taking nonetheless.

I also think I am pleased with the way that MITY went this year because I see it as one more sign of the strides I am making in handling my narcolepsy. Of course I was tired and pushed too hard at times. I need to get a better grasp of what I can and cannot expect of myself during the middle weekend of MITY. I also need to remember that the transition from "regular" school to MITY will always be bumpy because it is a shift in my daily schedule - and my body does not "do" that well. But, I am clearly starting to let go of the things that I cannot control. I am allowing myself to release - over editing, over "undone" work, over insane expectations. The journey is long, but each day is another step. Which raises my final point of pride. It was at MITY a few years ago that I first began to recognize honestly my inability to live in the moment. Although I certainly am still four days ahead, or two years in the past, in any given moment, more and more I am grounding myself in the events unfolding before my eyes. The results could not be clearer. My days are richer, even when they are limited by my narcolepsy. I can't get everything done that I "want to," but I am accomplishing more each day than I ever did when my narcolepsy was "hidden." I regularly avoid direct self-praise, but I need to admit that even I am impressed by my improved efficiency.

No comments: