Narcoleptic Knights

Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Jumping into June

Nothing captures the paradoxical nature of this entire school year better than this statement - Last week was the longest week of my teaching career, and I can't believe that it is already June. How last week's four days seemed to last a month is only made more confusing by the warp speed nature of this school year. I truly feel like my ninth graders just walked in the door. I know that the rapidity of time accelerates as I age, but this seems insane.

Of course, I have vivid memories of the richness of numerous days, so even the ridiculous pace of my life has gained more depth. It thrills me that I am learning to appreciate each moment rather than fretting about what I have left undone or anticipating the voluminous work loads that await me around every corner. Thus, this school year may have only last a split-second, yet I have found entire worlds within the fractional pieces of that split-second.

I am also taken aback by the ability I have found to push hard and to balance that exertion with quiet rest. I have never been this productive, while still respecting my narcolepsy. I definitely need to get better at finding the middle way, but I am neither living in denial about my condition, nor am I surrendering to it. In fact, while I am physically exhausted, I am also brimming with excitement because I will begin planning with colleagues next Monday. Rather than wanting to simply collapse for a week, I feel mentally and emotionally ready to begin processing and creating for the next batch of ninth graders.

No comments: