Narcoleptic Knights

Saturday, April 11, 2009

Suddenly Sunny

I awoke this morning with a bit more spring in my step. I am still exhausted, and I need to work on balance, but the world seems brighter today. It doesn't hurt that the sun is out in Duluth today, but the bigger reason is that once again fellow people with narcolepsy have lifted my spirits. Last night, we went to see my mother and my grandmother. It was good to spend time with them, but everyone is also struggling. My grandmother's health has both of them concerned and on edge. Thus, my stress level was higher when we returned to the hotel around 9 PM. Fortunately, I remember that a friend of mine that I met through the Narcolepsy Network had planned to chat with me on Yahoo Messenger. Sure enough, she was there, but soon others joined us.

The webmaster for the Narcolepsy Network is fantastic, as a person and as a web guru. As a result, he has been able to garner the assistance of a number of quality individuals around the country to help moderate the forums and to improve the site. I feel lucky to have been included. Thus, my "brief" chat with a friend transformed into a full-fledged planning session involving people in Minnesota, Michigan, Washington (state), and Ohio. We were discussing ways to promote and aid local/regional narcolepsy support groups by providing them space on the overall Narcolepsy Network site. The group out in Portland, Oregon (and Vancouver, Washington) already has material up in this fashion for their P.A.N.E.S. & V.A.N.E.S. group. The idea is absolutely thrilling because it will raise the profile of these groups (including the MOONS group I help organize), and those groups will also be more prone to connecting with each other.

Beyond the support group planning, we also discussed ways to make the overall site and forums better. While it is a team effort, the driving force IS our webmaster. Seriously, the guy is a saint (and a rocking musician). One element that he raised last night is trying to get the doctor who runs our Minnesota group onto the forums on a regular basis. I think it is brilliant. She is likely one of the best neurologists in the country, particularly for sleep medicine. But, more impressively, she genuinely cares for PWNs and wants to do everything she can to help them, even when they are not her patients. Hopefully, she will be open to establishing a presence on the Narcolepsy Network Online Forums. We shall see.

Even these stunning ideas did not raise my spirits the most. The best thing about this impromptu meeting was the love and respect that my friends sent my way. They have all been working like mad to improve elements of the Narcolepsy Network sites, while I have done a few things here and there. Rather than be frustrated that I am not doing more, all of them were overwhelming grateful for what I have done. They all get that I am doing the best I can while balancing family, work, volunteering, and my own health. Since all of them are also PWNs, they also know that the condition ebbs and flows. Each person was overjoyed that I was "back" in more of a groove, rather than chastising me for what had not been accomplished. I am certainly blessed to have both the Narcolepsy Network and these quality people in my life.

No comments: