Narcoleptic Knights

Sunday, October 18, 2009

Tired and Troubled

Somehow, I have managed to let another month pass without posting. Writing about this crazy condition is vitally important to me, but the "basics" of my life have felt horribly overwhelming. I also think that either my narcolepsy is intensifying, or my amphetamine is diminishing in its impact. of course, there is actually no way to determine that. All I know is that I have continued to "cut back" what I do, and I still find it harder to do this lightened load - which I find horribly frustrating.

My school year is actually going well. I have been better about correcting and more prepared for my teaching. I am also doing a better job of limiting myself to my part-time hours, rather than spending excessive amounts of time at school (well outside of my contract time). That being said, the year has also been tremendously draining. Our teaching team was tremendously successful last year, but I think we are all feeling pressure to be "better." While I think we are doing that, we are putting stress on ourselves. We have also developed a new approach to homework. It works well for many of our students, but two groups are struggling. Our students with poor time management skills are not spacing out their work and turn in poorly done materials. On the other hand, our overachieving students have been trying to do two to three hours of homework each night. Our expectation is that student would spend two to three hours maximum per week. As a result, we faced a number of questions at conferences from parents and guardians. Thankfully, most of them accepted our explanation, but a few still felt like we should change what we are doing because their daughter or son was continuing to do two to three hours per night. I am empathetic, but fail to see how we are causing the problem.

The other thing contributing to my struggles is the bizarre course of events over the last two months in my house. Our September had more activities and events that I can ever remember us having. The worst weekend involved my wife getting me at school at 2:45 PM on a Friday. We spent the next three hours and thirteen minutes traveling to Duluth (a trip that should take about two hours). We arrived for a family wedding with two minutes to spare (literally). Then, we checked into the hotel and attended the reception. I then got up early the next morning to drive my daughter back to the Saint Paul for a voice lesson. It was her first lesson, and the directions given by the organization were flawed to say the least. We managed to arrive only two minutes late for the voice lesson, but the stress of it all buried me. My wife had stayed in Duluth. When she returned on Sunday, I was still recovering, but there was a tremendous amount of work that needed to be done. I pushed myself to do it, and I exploded at my family. Then, I got to school on Monday so exhausted that my team members sent me home. It has been rocky since then, but is finally beginning to level out.

In the midst of all of that, my relationship with Narcolepsy Network turned markedly sour. They let their web master go and cut those of us who were moderators from access to the primary tool that we used to help moderate the site. When I emailed to express my disappointment in the entire situation, I received two emails. One was heartfelt and personal, explaining that I was a valued resource. The other was a generic message to all of the current moderators, saying essentially the same thing. Unfortunately for Narcolepsy Network, they thought the first version of the generic message to me did not work, and thus they forwarded the template. Because of that I learned that they had sent the same message to two moderators who had done nothing for over six months. Both of those individuals had been alienated by the inaction and the rude comments of board members. I then wrote an even more terse email questioning how they could "value" my work when they clearly had no idea what moderators were active and which were not. The sad reality is that many of the board members STILL have not gone to the forums, even after the things that took place. As a result of it all, I have done little online posting - at Narcolepsy Network or on Facebook. I am even struggling to do work for my local support group (which I essentially help to run). I just hate the idea of spending hours working on things, only to have some uninformed baord member swoop in and yank it away. Much of my frustration with the Narcolepsy Network centers on a new website that the web master was developing. He had is essentially ready to go live last November, but the board would never approve it. I personally spent well over 20 to 30 hours writing and editing content for the site, but never heard anything from the board, particularly the ones who were supposed to be overseeing the site. The even more irritating part is that while the new site was constantly being labeled as "un-ready," the current Narcolepsy Network site was live and contained far more errors and inaccuracies than the "un-ready" site. Because the web master is my friend, I stuck with the process, hoping that we would eventually be given approval. Instead, they fired him. Certainly, there may be legitimate reasons for what they did, although I have serious doubts. Even more unbelievable is that after hearing nothing about my work for the site, or about the quality of my writing, I received praise from three board members and a couple of employees of Narcolepsy Network.

I still want to "help" others with narcolepsy, but my own struggles are making it hard. I am heading to the national convention for Narcolepsy Network at the end of this week. I do plan to touch base with one member of the board to see if I can learn more about everything that happened. At the same time I remain unimpressed by the things I continue to see from Narcolepsy Network. For instance, even though I have clearly stated that I am not "helping" them at this time, I am STILL receiving emails from the people planning the conference. Today's series of emails was wonderfully ironic. Since all of the forum moderators "resigned" (after we were cut off), the board is hoping to find "motivated moderators" for the forums. Someone came up with the line, "We want MM for NN" - with "MM" refering to "motivated moderators." Since my initials ARE MM, I was sorely tempted to respond to the email, "You had MM, but chose to get rid of him," but felt like it would be sour grapes. In the end, it drives me crazy that the one national organization for people with narcolepsy seems to be clueless when it comes to growing the organization and to helping the vast number of PWNs who are searching for a lifeline while they are online.

No comments: