Narcoleptic Knights

Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Regularly Random Routine

One thing I know helps me is a set routine. Unfortunately, I do not feel like that has happened since the previous school year ended. I have come to expect that my summers will be all over the place. Because I teach an intensive creative writing course and then we travel, summer tends to be an unending cascade of starts and stops. Since my profession allows me two and a half months of unpaid vacation, I usually handle the rudderless aspect of June, July, and August as well as I can. Usually, though, the arrival of September affords me the blessing of a fairly standard daily schedule. For some reason I have yet to find that rhythm this year.

Certainly, the crazy weekends that took place for my family in September exacerbated the situation, but it goes well beyond that. For the first time that I can remember, I had more of a pattern to my day in August than I do right now. Rather than getting easier, my days seem to be growing in complexity. I have no doubt that much of that is in my head and in my reaction to my narcolepsy. Nonetheless, my days feel much more fragmented. I am weathering them well, partly because I have come to accept the reality that I have a disability. Still, I find my anger and frustration rising to the surface far more often of late. I also know that my depression seems to be growing in strength lately. I also find it difficult to "be hopefully" while also "accepting my realities." As always life and narcolepsy seem to be a paradoxical and oxymoronic as the title of this post!

No comments: